Once your surgeon has referred you to our day surgery, you will be scheduled for your procedure by our theatre booking staff.
Your surgeon will provide you with a Forest Road Day Surgery information pack that will detail important information to help you prepare for your procedure. Please take the time to read the documentation and complete all admission pre-procedure screening tools prior to your arrival on the day of surgery. Paperwork should be sent to the referring clinic prior to surgery. You will be contacted by a member of our staff the day before your procedure who will discuss your admission and discharge details.
They will confirm:
- Your admission time;
- How long you can expect to be at Forest Road Day Surgery;
- Any fasting instructions;
- Transport and parking arrangements;
- Name and phone number of the person taking you home;
- Details of out of pocket payments (if applicable);
- Answers to any questions you may have about your day surgery admission.
You may also be asked to discuss:
- Any allergies you may have;
- Recent illnesses or medical conditions, and
- Any current medications.
Remember, we are here to help, so feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Day of surgery
What to bring:
- Current medications;
- Special dietary food;
- Medicare card;
- Health fund card;
- Payment (if applicable).
When you arrive on the day of your surgery, our admission staff will assist you with your initial admission and ask you to complete any outstanding paperwork or financial consent details before the nursing staff commence their clinical admission. The nursing staff will also inform your carer when you will be ready to be picked up.
The following guidelines are outlined in our Forest Road Day Surgery information pack to assist you and ensure you have a smooth admission process:
- On the day of your operation please shower or bathe and wash your hair before arriving;
- Follow the fasting instructions, if applicable;
- Take all your usual medications, unless your doctor has advised otherwise;
- Bring all medications in their original containers with you;
- If you are having eye surgery, please wash your face for 3 minutes on the morning of surgery using your usual face soap. Do NOT wear any face make-up (including face cream and mascara);
- Avoid having nail polish on your hands if possible;
- Do not wear any jewellery. You may wear your wedding band if difficult to remove but leave all other valuables at home. The day surgery will not accept responsibility for lost or damaged items;
- Wear comfortable, loose clothing as you may have to change into a hospital gown;
- Bring in any paperwork you have been asked to complete;
- If you have any existing skin abrasions, cuts, bruising or wounds, please tell the nurse on your arrival;
- Please advise the nurse on arrival if you have any problems with your mobility which will require assistance;
- Please ensure you have allowed enough time; you can expect to be at the day surgery for approximately 2–3 hours;
- Ensure you have a responsible adult to accompany you home – the person accompanying you must leave a contact number and be available to pick you up when advised by the day surgery;
- If cancelling on the day of surgery, please call Forest Road Day Surgery directly on (02) 9330 6988.
If you become ill in any way before the operation, please phone and speak to either your surgeon or our theatre coordinator.
After your surgery
Following your procedure, you will be transferred to our recovery room where a nurse will monitor your recovery progress.
If you have been fasting, you will be offered some light refreshments.
Once you are fully recovered, your carer will be able to join you. At this time, the nurse will provide you with written instructions regarding your post-operative care and will discuss any questions or concerns you may have before you leave the day surgery.
If you are having eye surgery, you may leave with an eye patch. If you are leaving with a dressing to any operation site, please ensure you follow the care instructions given to you.
You may be provided with a prescription for post-operative medications. It is very important you continue to use any medication as prescribed by your surgeon.
You will be given an appointment time if you need to return to your surgeon’s rooms for a review. Your surgeon will confirm when you will be able to resume normal activities. You will be able to eat and drink as normal on discharge.
You will not be able to drive for 24 hours after your surgery and will be required to have a responsible adult drive or accompany you home and remain with you overnight. Patients will not be admitted to the day surgery if these arrangements cannot be made.
After your discharge, a nurse may contact you by phone to check on your progress and to answer any further questions you may have.
It is important to check what level of cover you have with your health fund and whether your procedure at Forest Road Day Surgery will be covered.
Our theatre co-ordinator will assist with this process. Some patients may be required to pay an excess or co-payment, or may not be fully covered and have some exclusions or restrictions.
Forest Road Day Surgery fees are separate to those charged by your surgeon, anaesthetist and any pathology costs, if applicable.
You are required to pay for any costs not covered by your health fund before your procedure. We accept cash, bank cheque (no personal cheques), credit cards (excluding AMEX or Diners) or EFTPOS.
How long will I be at Forest Road Day Surgery on the day of my procedure?
You can expect to be at the day surgery for approximately 2–3 hours.
What do I need to bring?
On the day of your procedure, please bring along: your Medicare card, your Health fund card if you have one and your payment (if applicable). Do not wear any jewellery. You may wear your wedding band if difficult to remove but leave all other valuables at home. The day surgery will not accept responsibility for lost or damaged items.
Do I need to pay anything on the day?
You are required to pay for any costs not covered by your health fund before your procedure. Our theatre co-ordinator will assist with this process prior to your procedure.
Do you offer payment plans?
Payment plans can be used at all Vision Hospital Group day surgeries through one of the following options.*
- LatitudePay for services up to $1,000 – interest free, ten weekly payments, no account fees, fast approval
- LatitudePay+ for services up to $10,000 – interest free, flexible repayment period (6–24 months), low monthly account fee, fast approval
* Approved customers only. Before applying for any form of credit, always read the full terms and conditions.
Can I take my usual medications?
Take all your usual medications, unless your doctor has advised otherwise.
Do I need to have someone with me?
Yes, you will need to have a responsible adult to accompany you home – the person accompanying you home must leave a contact number and be available to pick you up when advised by the day surgery.
Are there any onsite facilities for my carer while they are waiting?
Forest Road Day Surgery is located in the new East Quarter development, which features a number of retail outlets. In addition, Forest Road is one of the main commercial strips in Hurstville, and two major shopping centres (Westfield Hurstville and Hurstville Central) are less than 10 minutes from the clinic by foot. Buses also run regularly along Forest Road.
What if I can’t make my appointment?
If you cannot make your appointment, please contact Forest Road Day Surgery as soon as possible in order to reschedule your procedure date.
Is there parking available?
Forest Road Day Surgery is located within Hurstville’s East Quarter development, with more than 200 secure parking spaces available in the building complex. Enter via 103 Forest Road.
Street parking is also available on Forest Road and Durham Street (please check the parking signs carefully as a 2-hour limit generally applies).
Let us know how we’re doing
As part of our commitment to delivering exceptional care to patients, we are continually striving to improve our service. That’s why we value your feedback – whether it’s about something we did right or could do better or a staff member who deserves a special mention, we appreciate your help.
Please complete the contact form below and remember to include a phone number or email address if you would like us to contact you to discuss your comments further.